{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: Looking for cleaned pork casings.  (Read 13512 times)

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
Looking for cleaned pork casings.
« on: September 28, 2014, 10:29:52 PM »
Being of Polish decent, I miss good kielbasa.   https://www.google.co.th/images?safe=off&hl=en-TH&gbv=2&q=kielbasa+sausage&revid=1379271337&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ei=OykoVKPpGsOxuASAt4KIDw&ved=0CB0QsAQ

I am gathering the right ingrediants, however I am having problems finding cleaned pork casings. 

Casings are the "skin" that hold the sausage.  I see many Thai sausages in casings, but I have not been able to get cleaned casings. 

I can get fresh casings from the hog intestines, but that is too much work to make useable. My TW has tried to buy from locals, but it has not worked. 

Anyone have cleaned pork casings they can sell me?

Thanks.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Gifte​d Poster
  • Admin
    • www.buriramexpats.com
Re: Looking for cleaned pork casings.
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 12:45:41 AM »
In the Thai night market they sell NEAM moo barbeque sausage, so tasty, why would you want to work so hard for a polish sausage?!!! :)
You should look at the morning market where the gold shops area, you will probably find it there but I'm afraid you will have to clean it by yourself! sawadi

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 04:37:26 PM »
Makro has frozen casings. Cleaned and ready to go.

Offline CO-CO

• Gifte​d Poster
  • http://buriramexpats.com/
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 06:54:52 PM »
In the Thai night market they sell NEAM moo barbeque sausage, so tasty, why would you want to work so hard for a polish sausage?!!! :)
You should look at the morning market where the gold shops area, you will probably find it there but I'm afraid you will have to clean it by yourself! sawadi

Clearly you know little about the quality of sausages Admin - especially Thai/Isaan ones.

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 07:16:39 PM »
Makro has frozen casings. Cleaned and ready to go.

Wow, got a picture? 

No I am not making fun of you.  When I find at Makro I owe you a cold one. 

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 09:47:07 PM »
Oh NO,

It is looking like I will owe Steve a cold one (maybe 2).

Was in Makro today, found Pork intestine salted for sale.  I bought a pack and will see if it works. 

However, regardless of the outcome, I really appreciate Starman for telling me where to look.   

As I said, I owe you you a cold one.  What do you drink? 

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Gifte​d Poster
  • Admin
    • www.buriramexpats.com
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2014, 12:32:37 AM »

Clearly you know little about the quality of sausages Admin - especially Thai/Isaan ones.
So tell us about it. Do you think Thai sausages are not good enough for what reason?
sawadi

Offline JasonB

• Active member on the right way
  • http://buriramexpats.com/
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2014, 12:38:31 AM »
In Australia,we call sausages "supprise bags"because you never know what you'll get.Urleft wants to make his own,control the taste and quality to his wants,it's not hard to understand Admin.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Gifte​d Poster
  • Admin
    • www.buriramexpats.com
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2014, 01:03:16 AM »
In Australia,we call sausages "supprise bags"because you never know what you'll get.Urleft wants to make his own,control the taste and quality to his wants,it's not hard to understand Admin.
I do understand his intentions, I don't need an explanation for it,
I just wanted to understand if farang don't like Thai isaan sausages and why? I think they are wonderful, tasty, just off the grill.

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2014, 06:34:51 AM »
I do understand his intentions, I don't need an explanation for it,
I just wanted to understand if farang don't like Thai isaan sausages and why? I think they are wonderful, tasty, just off the grill.

I was not impressed with the Thai Sausage, tried it few times and just did not like it.  Maybe I just got from a wrong vendor.  I will try it again.   

In the US when I was growing up there were ethnic communities.  We used to go the local polish town (Hamtramick in Detroit) to the butcher shop.  As I would walk in my sense of smell was delighted with kielbasa scent.  That was grade A tasting sausage, to the point that I would almost never buy supermarket sausage as there was no comparison. 

So several years ago I was on Cannery Row (Monterey, California per John Steinbeck) and found a book on sausage making, one of the few real books I kept when I left the states.  Now I am ready to try it. 

Also finding an electric meat grinder was another adventure, but finally found a reasonably priced one in Korat. 

So sometime in the next week (hopefully before the pot luck) I will have some keilbasa made. 
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 06:42:34 AM by urleft »

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2014, 11:51:20 AM »
Oh NO,

It is looking like I will owe Steve a cold one (maybe 2).

Was in Makro today, found Pork intestine salted for sale.  I bought a pack and will see if it works. 

However, regardless of the outcome, I really appreciate Starman for telling me where to look.   

As I said, I owe you you a cold one.  What do you drink? 

Thank you

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2014, 01:44:50 PM »
A touch out of my gratitude budget. 

But I will offer to drop off some completed sausage.   I hope to experiment this week and if no one from the pot luck gets poisoned I will offer some to you. 

The casing seem to be just what I need.  The Makro bag comes frozen, but probably contains over 100 meters of casings, some are over 10 meter sections.  So I started sorting and cleaning them.  Understand that you can re-freeze these extra packed in salt.

Using my Sausage book as a guide (plus instructions from Youtube), I expect to be ready in the next 2 days.  Just need  the ingredents.  Had fun trying to find an electric meat grinder with a sausage tube, but finally found one in Korat for 1900 baht. 

Offline Somnat

• Reliable reporter on the right way
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2014, 04:18:00 PM »
Keith, is there any particular reason why you are re cleaning the "Cleaned and ready to go" pork casings ?

Serious question as I am also interested in making my own snags ......

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2014, 07:20:50 PM »

Keith, is there any particular reason why you are re cleaning the "Cleaned and ready to go" pork casings ?

Serious question as I am also interested in making my own snags ......

Two main reasons.   

1.  The casings are packed in salt, need to get rid of the salt. 

2.  According to the vid:   

Casings should be wet. 

And lastly, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Also, the casing came in a frozen pack all jammed up, you have to separate (unlikely you will make 100 meters of sausage).   So by cleaning them (and turning them inside out) you find out what you have. 

And ask yourself "How did that water where the casing are soaking get yellow?"   The Water I used is clear. 

« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 07:28:00 PM by urleft »

Offline Somnat

• Reliable reporter on the right way
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2014, 08:18:31 PM »
^
Thanks.

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick
March 10, 2024, 05:30:21 PM