{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: Viewing from afar!  (Read 8996 times)

Offline silver

• Contributor with future
  • http://buriramexpats.com/
Viewing from afar!
« on: September 02, 2014, 01:46:38 AM »
As I have to spend many months away from Buriram in the UK I enjoy reading the Buriram Expats forum every day. I read all the posts about houses, cars, motorcycles for sale, local businesses and also the general banter from your members. These members appear to come from a variety of countries and for the most part seam to get on OK and enjoy passing on their knowledge and experience's to other members.
But I am amazed when a member whom has put on many informative links and information gets banned by putting on a link to a international news incident. I watched this news item a short while afterwards on the BBC. Surely there cannot be a problem by posting "Breaking news" links.
It will be a shame if this forum is sanitized to such a level that people will not want to post their views.

Offline Beer Leo

• Contributor on the right way
Re: Viewing from afar!
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 02:06:28 AM »
As I have to spend many months away from Buriram in the UK I enjoy reading the Buriram Expats forum every day. I read all the posts about houses, cars, motorcycles for sale, local businesses and also the general banter from your members. These members appear to come from a variety of countries and for the most part seam to get on OK and enjoy passing on their knowledge and experience's to other members.
But I am amazed when a member whom has put on many informative links and information gets banned by putting on a link to a international news incident. I watched this news item a short while afterwards on the BBC. Surely there cannot be a problem by posting "Breaking news" links.
It will be a shame if this forum is sanitized to such a level that people will not want to post their views.

Thank you for your support, this is what I have tried to explain before.  bravo1

Offline nookiebear

• Gifte​d Poster
  • nookie by name, nookie by nature!!
    • Nookie's delights
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 04:17:24 AM »
+1,............Nice to meet Mr & Mrs Urleft again yesterday too

Offline Graham1

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 04:24:23 AM »
 thumbup
I agree with you guys - it's called banter in UK !
Admin -we will go on and on about it - that's called voicing your opinion on a democratic forum ?!

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Gifte​d Poster
  • Admin
    • www.buriramexpats.com
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 05:27:52 AM »
Go ahead.. But any person banned was banned for a real good reasonS and posting news was not one of them.
Sawadi

Offline Adam

• Active member on the right way
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 06:37:06 AM »
Admin, take a look at Surin Expats Forum, it used to be a vibrant forum with many threads and a fun exchange of views, until the owner annoyed the members and now only about 3 active members.

DEAD, you are heading that way in my view.

Offline Nobby

• Reliable reporter on the right way
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 07:37:28 AM »
Admin, take a look at Surin Expats Forum, it used to be a vibrant forum with many threads and a fun exchange of views, until the owner annoyed the members and now only about 3 active members.

Makes you wonder if the same people are trying to hijack ' competitor' local forums? I have read on other local forums that one guy(THE ADMIN)  'boasts' about having a different Buriram Expats account EVERY MONTH.
 boatsailing
Just saying like!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 07:40:48 AM by Sparky »

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 07:51:09 AM »
I haven't posted on here for a while and I will now tell you why.

Off topic and one dimensional posts.

Why cut and paste or post links all of the time? I read world news most days. I don't need to log on to expats and read it again. It would be nice, however, to read something like "I have just read a news item about ".......I think......."

Also off topic posts. I posted something about my business and it ended up as a grammar lesson. I still do alot of business with members on here, but now by PM or email. That is a shame.

There was someone that was asked "How do you live in Thailand if you don't speak Thai?" and he went off in a tirade of abuse. Why?

Also...we know that there are many characters on here, but why have a go all of the time. I disagreed with someone one time and he sent me many abusive PMs about it.

I CAN read and UNDERSTAND English and I know that there are certain times when the banter is  bordering on abuse.

Someone said about "do not offend the Thai people". I agree but why stop at Thailand. The answer was that we live here. So someone on BE who doesn't live in Thailand can go ahead?

Adam....you mentioned another forum. It is my understanding that most people go bored of that forum because of the constant links to news items.

One more thing. "Competitor forum" says it all. Why can't they all live together?

Just my slant on things but I think that the idea that Admin is killing the forum is unfair. He is also getting some help.

Many of the arguements on here just don't add up. That is not only my view.During my travels delivering goods I have heard at least 5 other members say that.

Offline CO-CO

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2014, 08:22:04 AM »

Makes you wonder if the same people are trying to hijack ' competitor' local forums? I have read on other local forums that one guy(THE ADMIN)  'boasts' about having a different Buriram Expats account EVERY MONTH.
 boatsailing
Just saying like!

A bit rich coming from someone who has had more user names than I have had hot dinners  wave1  :)

SWIDT........... now we have gone off topic.

Offline Nobby

• Reliable reporter on the right way
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2014, 11:11:52 AM »

boatsailing
Just saying like!

A bit rich coming from someone who has had more user names than I have had hot dinners  wave1  :)

SWIDT........... now we have gone off topic.

That facility is open to all members CoCo so I use it.
I only have one membership account so I am sure with our svelte like figure you have indeed had more than that many hot meal!  :D :D :D party15

I concur with all said by Starman. Post questions or interesting ideas and that will generate discussions, especially if they relate to local issues.

If you know who you are dealing with, the 'banter' can sometimes get a little 'near the mark' and English/Australian humour is known to be insulting(p!ss-taking) but lines need to be drawn at PERSONAL INSULTS. IMO

SWIDT getting it back on topic.

Offline CO-CO

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2014, 11:59:47 AM »
Good to see you agreeing with Starman  :D

..and you can't spell dummy ( ;D) ..... CRUSTY !

Offline Freddy

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2014, 02:33:21 PM »
I too have viewed and used this forum from the UK. The questions I have asked have always received a good and informative response and I value that. Being from the UK I have a good understanding of the British sense of humour and on many occasion I have seen comments that I realise are intended to be funny but have cringed a little because I know the intended P*ss take will be missed.
I do believe that if individuals have personal dislikes for one another, then these should not be played out on a forum such as this but beyond that, there should be the opportunity to exchange views and information freely and without excessive censorship.
As well as the obvious benefit of getting help, advice, support and information from this site, I also hope that I will make some new friends and  have the opportunity to meet up for a few beers and food from time to time. Let's face it, a move to any new country is difficult and sites such as this should assist through the wobbly moments.
I don't know anyone on this site personally, but hope to in the future. Keep it alive.

Offline Graham1

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2014, 04:11:56 PM »
Here here  redman

Offline Review

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2014, 06:29:39 PM »
I too have viewed and used this forum from the UK. The questions I have asked have always received a good and informative response and I value that. Being from the UK I have a good understanding of the British sense of humour and on many occasion I have seen comments that I realise are intended to be funny but have cringed a little because I know the intended P*ss take will be missed.
I do believe that if individuals have personal dislikes for one another, then these should not be played out on a forum such as this but beyond that, there should be the opportunity to exchange views and information freely and without excessive censorship.
As well as the obvious benefit of getting help, advice, support and information from this site, I also hope that I will make some new friends and  have the opportunity to meet up for a few beers and food from time to time. Let's face it, a move to any new country is difficult and sites such as this should assist through the wobbly moments.
I don't know anyone on this site personally, but hope to in the future. Keep it alive.

Thank you for your good post. You are English speaker and you sometimes worry about people joking. So how can people who don't understand everything feel? There are many nationalities here.

There are smilies on this forum. They are easy to use. If you joke and are not sure if someone understand then use a smilie to show the joke.

It looks to me that Buriram Expats is not dead. Many posts today. Let's keep things like this post. Show your idea and keep polite. That is good for everyone.

Offline Beer Leo

• Contributor on the right way
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2014, 07:28:17 PM »
I haven't posted on here for a while and I will now tell you why.

Off topic and one dimensional posts.

Why cut and paste or post links all of the time? I read world news most days. I don't need to log on to expats and read it again. It would be nice, however, to read something like "I have just read a news item about ".......I think......."

Also off topic posts. I posted something about my business and it ended up as a grammar lesson. I still do alot of business with members on here, but now by PM or email. That is a shame.

There was someone that was asked "How do you live in Thailand if you don't speak Thai?" and he went off in a tirade of abuse. Why?

Also...we know that there are many characters on here, but why have a go all of the time. I disagreed with someone one time and he sent me many abusive PMs about it.

I CAN read and UNDERSTAND English and I know that there are certain times when the banter is  bordering on abuse.

Someone said about "do not offend the Thai people". I agree but why stop at Thailand. The answer was that we live here. So someone on BE who doesn't live in Thailand can go ahead?

Adam....you mentioned another forum. It is my understanding that most people go bored of that forum because of the constant links to news items.

One more thing. "Competitor forum" says it all. Why can't they all live together?

Just my slant on things but I think that the idea that Admin is killing the forum is unfair. He is also getting some help.

Many of the arguements on here just don't add up. That is not only my view.During my travels delivering goods I have heard at least 5 other members say that.

Good morning Starman, you must be review! Do you have two user names or more? Note I'm using a smile  :D
555 Only joking 555   party6
(Someone said about "do not offend the Thai people". I agree but why stop at Thailand)

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: Golf Clubs by Mod
March 23, 2024, 12:46:14 AM

Golf Clubs by andy
March 22, 2024, 03:24:32 AM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick
March 10, 2024, 05:30:21 PM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by Mod
March 06, 2024, 02:03:52 PM

Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick