{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: ID card Thaivisa.com news  (Read 15782 times)

Offline JasonB

• Active member on the right way
  • http://buriramexpats.com/
Re: ID card Thaivisa.com news
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2014, 12:03:34 AM »
Sorry Cooked,but your cooked.I as Urleft and others have not had to ever carry a passport,unless going away somewhere,I do as Urleft and others here do,copies,nice and clear,around town and never in the years I've been here have had a problem at a check point,or anywhere,I smile,be nice and compliant,and are waved on my way.Yes if that changes I will carry my passport EVERYWHERE....but for now that little book is too important to me to lose,or have stolen,or my car robbed and it is stolen etc.I also have been looking for definitive info on this,none I can find.

Offline cooked

• Contributor with future
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2014, 05:51:16 AM »
Sorry Cooked,but your cooked.I as Urleft and others have not had to ever carry a passport,unless going away somewhere,I do as Urleft and others here do,copies,nice and clear,around town and never in the years I've been here have had a problem at a check point,or anywhere,I smile,be nice and compliant,and are waved on my way.Yes if that changes I will carry my passport EVERYWHERE....but for now that little book is too important to me to lose,or have stolen,or my car robbed and it is stolen etc.I also have been looking for definitive info on this,none I can find.

If you were to read my posts ou would see that I have experienced the same as you, I never had to show my passport. However if you were to google a bit you would see that people have been fined in the past for not having their passport. Nothing has changed, they are talking about applying the law as it stands. You can't have missed that. The law will doubtless in the National Identity Card Act which definitely exists but is not to be found on the net.

There is a 34 page discussion on Thaivisa about this and the tone is the same as here: lots of accusations of stupidity and denials. Wait for the news that is supposed to be ssued today about this subject.

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2014, 08:52:15 AM »
What has to be remembered here is that there are two sets of rules.

The "National Identity Card Act" covers everyone in the Kingdom, including Thai people. This is enforced by the police.

There is also another set of rules that we, as foreigners, also have to adhere to. That is the "immigration act". This is enforced by immigration officials.

The National Identity Card Act states that everyone must carry a photo ID. Whether that be an ID card, drivers licence or passport.

The Immigration Act states that all "aliens" must carry a passport. The reason for this is that visa/extension of stay status cannot be checked on any ID other than a passport.

I imagine that those that have been "googling" and state that no such law exists have been looking in English. A simple "google" in Thai will bring up the immigration act. Well worth a read. There are some real monsters in there. If you can't read Thai then get someone who can to read it for you and translate. You will see that all of the recent goings on are not new rules but simply old rules that are now being enforced. Including the fact that "aliens" need to carry passports at all times, if immigration are around.

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/doc/act_imm_2522.html

Offline gotlost

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2014, 09:08:38 AM »
What has to be remembered here is that there are two sets of rules.

The "National Identity Card Act" covers everyone in the Kingdom, including Thai people. This is enforced by the police.

There is also another set of rules that we, as foreigners, also have to adhere to. That is the "immigration act". This is enforced by immigration officials.

The National Identity Card Act states that everyone must carry a photo ID. Whether that be an ID card, drivers licence or passport.

The Immigration Act states that all "aliens" must carry a passport. The reason for this is that visa/extension of stay status cannot be checked on any ID other than a passport.

I imagine that those that have been "googling" and state that no such law exists have been looking in English. A simple "google" in Thai will bring up the immigration act. Well worth a read. There are some real monsters in there. If you can't read Thai then get someone who can to read it for you and translate. You will see that all of the recent goings on are not new rules but simply old rules that are now being enforced. Including the fact that "aliens" need to carry passports at all times, if immigration are around.

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/doc/act_imm_2522.html

Thanks Starman

Offline Somnat

• Reliable reporter on the right way
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2014, 09:23:44 AM »
Good find Starman

Just struggled through it but could not (probably missed it) find the section about carrying passport at all tines.

Which section is it under?

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2014, 09:29:47 AM »
Sections 4 and 5 are most interesting.

Throughout those two sections they refer to " anu- yart- yoo". That means permission to stay. I believe that they are referring to " permanent residence". Those with such a permit only have to carry "ID".

Offline cooked

« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2014, 09:36:14 AM »
Sections 4 and 5 are most interesting.

Throughout those two sections they refer to " anu- yart- yoo". That means permission to stay. I believe that they are referring to " permanent residence". Those with such a permit only have to carry "ID".

Thanks for that Starman, most useful. I also found this article on Thaivisa, which was what started off the 34 page discussion.

HUA HIN:-- Following yesterday’s news regarding the requirement for foreigners in Thailand to carry ID with them at all times, Thaivisa.com and local Immigration offices have been inundated with messages and comments from foreigners concerned about how they may be affected by this news.

In order to seek fruther clarification about this, Thaivisa.com has today met with Pol.Col. Thanasak Vongluekiat, Superintendent of Prachuap Khirikhan and Phetchaburi Immigration.

Pol.Col. Thanasak confirmed the following:

1. By law, all tourists and expats nationwide are required to carry their original passports with them at all times. There is no exception to this. Failure to carry your original passport may result in a 2,000 THB fine. The reason behind this is that Immigration needs to keep track of overstayers and foreign criminals who may be staying illegally in the country.

2. The information provided at an Immigration meeting yesterday was unclear. The correct information, which has always been the case, is that no other forms of identification are acceptable. This includes any other form of photo ID, such as a Thai/foreign driving license or a photocopy of your passport.

3. Immigration does not provide any kind of ‘stamp’ verification on a photocopy of a passport as announced at the meeting yesterday. Therefore, you are required to keep your original passport with you at all times as per point #1 above.

Thaivisa.com would like to thank Pol.Col. Thanasak Vongluekiat and his staff for taking time out of their busy schedule in order to clarify this.

Offline Somnat

• Reliable reporter on the right way
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2014, 09:44:01 AM »
Chapters 4 and 5 ?

Section 34 to 52 ?

I may be looking in the wrong place.

Offline TELLBOY

« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2014, 09:50:25 AM »
is it to much to ask but why cant immigration just give or sell us an id card same as a ties every year when we renew or visas big problems if we loose a passport.

Offline davu

• Prolific Member
« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2014, 10:36:18 AM »
Because you couldn't check if your visa was up to date without going to a computer terminal somewhere. Immigration offices are far from having all their information on the internet, you'll have to wait.

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: Golf Clubs by Mod
March 23, 2024, 12:46:14 AM

Golf Clubs by andy
March 22, 2024, 03:24:32 AM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick
March 10, 2024, 05:30:21 PM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by Mod
March 06, 2024, 02:03:52 PM

Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick