{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: ID card Thaivisa.com news  (Read 15827 times)

Offline Somnat

• Reliable reporter on the right way
Re: ID card Thaivisa.com news
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2014, 08:07:44 PM »
"and fines are being leaved" for what? In a nutshell Somnat,I think Gotlost means,or the statements mean,fines will be applied if you don't carry the correct ID (2000Baht fines) at all times,in the doghouse,cathouse,bar,where ever.

NO.

What GL stated was......

"At the moment KCI is going threw every resort hotel, dog house, cat house, restaurant, and bar in Surin and Buriram Provinces and fines are being leaved."

and yes the 24 hour rule also is being enforced. On spot fines of 3600 baht and up to the establishment.

also meaning what GL?

also as in they are scurrying around the countryside checking every nook and cranny for farangs and then asking them for their ID?

Hopefully we will see some "official" clarification from head office in the near future.

Offline cooked

• Contributor with future
  • http://buriramexpats.com/
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2014, 08:57:36 PM »
This is getting confused.
It has always been the case that foreigners have to carry their passport at all times. Hua Hin screwed up yesterday when they said that driving license or certified copy of passport would also do it. There has always been a liability to a 2000THB fine for not doing this. I have always got away with showing my driving license. You may want to decide whether it is worth the risk of losing or damaging (Song kran comes to mind) your passport carrying it around at all times and just accept the fine which will doubtless be negotiable.  UK and Australian residents know how difficult it is to get a new passport.
24 hour rule: if you change your adress you must announce this to Immigration within 24 hours. How often do you change your adress?
48 hour rule: if a foreigner visits another province for more than 48 hours, the house master or owner or possessor of the residence where foreigners reside must send notice to immigration. There is nothing new about all this, enforcement has been 'varied' in the past.
What's wrong with that? You always have a few thousand in your wallet / driving license for police checks anyway, this will die down I expect.
I read above something along the lines of fascist bully boys, this is ridiculous. In Switzerland you are liable to 24 hours in a cell so that the police can confirm your ID. What do you think about that? I see very little mention of the fact that visa exempt entries can now be extended by another 30 days and not 7 as previously. The law is being upheld, at the same time regulations (the way the law is interpreted) are being looked at. Stay cool, if regulations are being tightened maybe it is because of years of getting around them by Farangs with a few thousand to spare.

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2014, 09:54:46 PM »

It has always been the case that foreigners have to carry their passport at all times.

What Thailand law or regulation states that?   

References are our friend. 

Offline cooked

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2014, 10:03:10 PM »

It has always been the case that foreigners have to carry their passport at all times.

Blimey, this has been so obvious for me for so long that I had to google it (thailand carry passport ) . Try: Extracted from UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office website advisory on travel in Thailand:

"By law, you must carry your passport with you at all times in Thailand. Tourists have been arrested because they were unable to produce their passport upon request. Ensure you complete the next of kin details section in the back of your passport. "

Link:
http://www.fco.gov.u...nd/#lawsCustoms

This site is an official government site and therefore very unlikely to contain untrue or hearsay information. (They would be legally liable).

Offline gotlost

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2014, 10:10:34 PM »

Blimey, this has been so obvious for me for so long that I had to google it (thailand carry passport ) . Try: Extracted from UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office website advisory on travel in Thailand:

"By law, you must carry your passport with you at all times in Thailand. Tourists have been arrested because they were unable to produce their passport upon request. Ensure you complete the next of kin details section in the back of your passport. "

Link:

This site is an official government site and therefore very unlikely to contain untrue or hearsay information. (They would be legally liable).

The link is NFG try again.   chairhit

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2014, 10:17:36 PM »

Link:

Exactly. 

So where on a Thai GVT website is a law that requires a passport be carried?   I really want to know. 

That being said.   When I traveled to Patts last week in a rented van, I never had to produce my passport even though I made sure I had it with me.  I think we encountered 4 checkpoints. 

Offline gotlost

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2014, 10:34:15 PM »

Link:

Exactly. 

So where on a Thai GVT website is a law that requires a passport be carried?   I really want to know. 

That being said.   When I traveled to Patts last week in a rented van, I never had to produce my passport even though I made sure I had it with me.  I think we encountered 4 checkpoints.

I totally agree with Keith on this . I would like to see a Thai law on this but in all my searching I have found NO such animal. Just to let you know I cary my passport with me at all time and have been dong so for 25 years. I have only been asked one  time in Thailand half way between Prasat and Surin at a cop stop around 2008. What people tend to not understand is this country is still under marshal law, the military rules and these boys walk to a different beat. As an illustrious  member of this forum pointed out the other day two idiots were asked for their pp by the army in Nang Rong about 8 am they did not have them and at 4 pm they were still in an army truck waiting. There may not be a law that in Thailand that says you must cary it but you fork with bull and you get horn.

Offline cooked

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2014, 10:42:23 PM »
Why don't you try to find a link? ?
As I said before I also never had to show my passport outside of Kap Choeng and the driving license place to anyone. I have spent hours trying to make sense of official Thai websites to find out the law on certain subjects, it can't be done. Jeez guys, this is Thailand, the Swiss embassy told me this and the UK embassy in the past has stated this.
http://www.richardbarrow.com/2013/08/always-carry-your-passport-or-a-copy-while-in-thailand/ is without substantiation also, why not ask him?
Now listen: there is a law in Thailand stating that everyone must carry an ID at all times. If you contest that then the conversation ends here. I can't imagine that this law, presumably formulated many years ago before the invention of nice laminated driving licenses, included DLs. Or certified copies of passports. The law hasn't been enforced strictly, now it is being as they want to get rid of people living and working in Thailand illegally. I took the trouble to answer because a load of hysteria seems to be generated by the fact that this law is being applied. Valid IDs? Well I suppose it may well be that they have just decided that in the case of Farangs this means passport, but it is still within the law.
ANYWAY. I just read on Thaivisa that big news is coming up tomorrow so start packing your bags and sell the car.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 10:57:28 PM by cooked »

mxyzptlk

« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2014, 11:04:07 PM »
I agree with urleft's post above. If it isn't on a police order on a Thai government website then it's not credible.
I don't give a x what it says on UK or US or any other non-thai website

mxyzptlk

« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2014, 11:05:25 PM »
The x in my post above is a replacement for a word that rhymes with DUCK

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2014, 11:05:32 PM »
Why don't you try to find a link? ?
As I said before I also never had to show my passport outside of Kap Choeng and the driving license place to anyone. I have spent hours trying to make sense of official Thai websites to find out the law on certain subjects, it can't be done. Jeez guys, this is Thailand, the Swiss embassy told me this and the UK embassy in the past has stated this.
http://www.richardbarrow.com/2013/08/always-carry-your-passport-or-a-copy-while-in-thailand/ is without substantiation also, why not ask him?
Now listen: there is a law in Thailand stating that everyone must carry an ID at all times. If you contest that then the conversation ends here. I can't imagine that this law, presumably formulated many years ago before the invention of nice laminated driving licenses, included DLs. Or certified copies of passports. The law hasn't been enforced strictly, now it is being as they want to get rid of people living and working in Thailand illegally. I took the trouble to answer because a load of hysteria seems to be generated by the fact that this law is being applied. Valid IDs? Well I suppose it may well be that they have just decided that in the case of Farangs this means passport, but it is still within the law.
ANYWAY. I just read on Thaivisa that big news is coming up tomorrow so start packing your bags and sell the car.

Because cooked, you made this statement:

"By law, you must carry your passport with you at all times in Thailand.

So what law requires the passport be carried?    Your statement, so back it up with a Thai GVT link.   

I carry my passport when traveling outside of Buriram City.  But I am trying to discover the specific Thai Law requiring that action.   Since you stated it is required, what is the Thai Law link so I can better understand it? 
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 11:09:13 PM by urleft »

mxyzptlk

« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2014, 11:09:02 PM »
Keith, I am the same as you. If I leave my home province(Buriram) I always take my passport with me. No big deal...

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2014, 11:12:58 PM »
Keith, I am the same as you. If I leave my home province(Buriram) I always take my passport with me. No big deal...

Yes, not a big deal.  However I normally carry a photo copy of my Passport and Thai Retirement extension around Buriram City.  If the law changes where I need my actual passport, I want to have beforehand to avoid problems. 

mxyzptlk

« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2014, 11:15:49 PM »
Your Thai DL is normally sufficient in your own province which is what I always carry....

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2014, 11:24:25 PM »
Your Thai DL is normally sufficient in your own province which is what I always carry....

Not according to cooked. 

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: Golf Clubs by Mod
March 23, 2024, 12:46:14 AM

Golf Clubs by andy
March 22, 2024, 03:24:32 AM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick
March 10, 2024, 05:30:21 PM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by Mod
March 06, 2024, 02:03:52 PM