{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: Collecting Thai Coins, specifially 10 Baht  (Read 20937 times)

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
Collecting Thai Coins, specifially 10 Baht
« on: June 19, 2013, 10:10:25 AM »
As the coinage came through our shop I started to notice that some of the coins were different.  I started putting them aside.  Found out there are a lot of different 10 Baht Coins, ususally distinctive by the back, but also on the front.  Found this site which gives some background on the coins: 
http://colnect.com/en/coins/list/series/82453-Commemorative_coins_-_10_Baht/country/2462-Thailand

Here are some examples of the back:

isanbirder

Re: Collecting Thai Coins, specifially 10 Baht
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 04:01:58 PM »
Thanks, Urleft.  I'd always wondered where to find a list.

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 05:44:09 PM »
You are Welcome, glad someone got some benefit from it. 

BTW, if there is anyone else that doesn't have a life and is collecting the coins, I would be interested in a swap exchange for duplicates I have. 

Offline Paddyram

• Contributor on the right way
  • Censored!
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 06:23:45 PM »
I used to collect those too. 
But mainly because of their uncanny resemblance to the more expensive 2 euro coins. 
Farang Cigarette machines liked them too.

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2016, 12:02:37 PM »
Just bringing this topic up again as sometime in the near future the currency/coinage is going to changed out with a new king. 

Might be a opportunity for some long term speculation.  I probably won't benefit, but my daughter should. 

For example, even keeping some of the changed out 20/50/100 baht note (new condition), could have some gains (in 20 years or so).  I would not mortgage the house to invest, but I would recommend setting aside the odd coin or mint condition note you happen to receive. 
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 12:04:09 PM by urleft »

Offline davureborn

• Member in the hall of honorary
  • http://buriramexpats.com/
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2016, 01:31:59 PM »
Don't do as my wife did, who had a coin,worth ‎฿100 000.- (in mint condition) and left it on the sideboard.Near the kid's money box. We're still together.

Offline nookiebear

• Gifte​d Poster
  • nookie by name, nookie by nature!!
    • Nookie's delights
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2016, 02:00:22 PM »
I've got a few of the 10 baht notes in pretty good condition

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2016, 09:38:35 PM »
Just to add some additional info, if you look at the picture you can see the 10 baht coins have people other than the King sometimes, there are several women and sometimes 2 men. 

Also pictured are 3 different versions of the 20 Baht note.  Along with some 10 baht notes and an older 50 baht. 

The 5 baht coin has 2 older versions that I still see regularly, the symbol I think was for the King, and one with a dragon head (like from a ship bow). 

I had several duplicates that I was going to get rid of, but now will just kind of sit on them.  If you go to the link I originally provided you can research what the coins mean, and it includes the amount minted.  Most seem to be in the 3 Million range, but there are some 1 Million (which obviously means you see less of them), and at least one coin had 15 Million, which unsurprising means that I have a lot of those dups to the point that I just stopped collecting them. 

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2016, 12:35:31 PM »
Just had a lady pay a 800 baht bill with 10 baht coins (she has laundry machines).  Using the picture in the 1st post:

77 -  #55
3   -  #4 

No commemorative coins in the bunch.  I would guess I get a commemorative in about 1 out of 500.  The #55's are most of what you get, the #4's are still fairly common, however, most are in poor condition which means they will probably never be worth more than 10 baht unless the Euro machines take them. 

So far in the 5 years since I have moved here we have gotten 4 Euros instead of a 10 baht coin. 

Offline nookiebear

• Gifte​d Poster
    • Nookie's delights
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2016, 03:30:35 PM »
The plastic 50 baht notes are a very rare sighting

Offline nookiebear

• Gifte​d Poster
    • Nookie's delights
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2016, 03:33:45 PM »
Just to add some additional info, if you look at the picture you can see the 10 baht coins have people other than the King sometimes, there are several women and sometimes 2 men. 

Also pictured are 3 different versions of the 20 Baht note.  Along with some 10 baht notes and an older 50 baht. 

The 5 baht coin has 2 older versions that I still see regularly, the symbol I think was for the King, and one with a dragon head (like from a ship bow). 

I had several duplicates that I was going to get rid of, but now will just kind of sit on them.  If you go to the link I originally provided you can research what the coins mean, and it includes the amount minted.  Most seem to be in the 3 Million range, but there are some 1 Million (which obviously means you see less of them), and at least one coin had 15 Million, which unsurprising means that I have a lot of those dups to the point that I just stopped collecting them. 

What is the note bottom right in the plastic bag?

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2016, 05:05:09 PM »
Mike Shopping Mall, 4th Floor.  (Pattaya)

There is supposed to be a coin dealer there that carries a complete set of coins like from the first picture.  I was missing a few coins and wanted to try to do a trade, the coin lady at the Villa Shopping Center said I should go there.  Never made it. 

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2017, 09:49:35 AM »
I probably get about 1000 10-Baht coins a month but so far this year have not seen any commemorative.  Looks like they are being scarfed up, even the #4's are getting fewer. 

Offline Wayne from Aus

• Contributor with future
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2017, 06:01:36 PM »
EBay had a full set for $300 + (AUD). I was trying to get the wife's sister who lives in BKK to go and get me a set but it was all too hard for her. Said it was too busy there. Shame really brick1

Offline Spoon1967

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2017, 10:28:25 PM »
Mike Shopping Mall, 4th Floor.  (Pattaya)

There is supposed to be a coin dealer there that carries a complete set of coins like from the first picture.  I was missing a few coins and wanted to try to do a trade, the coin lady at the Villa Shopping Center said I should go there.  Never made it.

The guy is still there and a friend of mine (just to say hello to), has a massive selection of coins/ banknotes and Amulets, his store is an Aladdins cave, well worth a visit, but barter... I also visit a  visit local pawn shop in Pattaya off 2nd road on Soi 13, some great stuff in there.

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: Golf Clubs by Mod
March 23, 2024, 12:46:14 AM

Golf Clubs by andy
March 22, 2024, 03:24:32 AM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick
March 10, 2024, 05:30:21 PM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by Mod
March 06, 2024, 02:03:52 PM

Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick