{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: Bicyling aroung Buriram  (Read 24872 times)

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
Re: Bicyling aroung Buriram
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2017, 09:10:43 PM »
As I alluded, I have 3 Trek bikes a trail, road, and wife special.  And was in the market for daughter special.

Offline Freddy

• Gifte​d Poster
  • http://buriramexpats.com/
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2017, 10:59:29 AM »
I bought a cheap MTB about 5 months ago. I looked at some of the high end bikes but decided to go cheap initially mainly because I wasn't sure how much I would actually use it and also because it reduces the stress/anger factor when it gets borrowed by Noi's daughter because hers has puncture. (That seems to be more often than not and its clearly to hard to get it repaired at the village place just a few metres away).

I bought a Turbo from Big C for around 6,000 baht. So far it's held up well. It's by no means lite weight but not overly heavy either. It's got the sequential gear set up (21) and I haven't had any problem with any of the gears or other components so far. I tend to go off-road on tracks and trails and it copes well.

For the occasional cyclist ( bit of cardio exercise 2/3 times a week) it fits the bill for me. For the future though, what is it you get on a 50-70k bike that you don't get on a 5-10k bike. Is it all to do with frame weight and gear quality or are there at her aspects that I'm missing.

Unlike cars you tend not to be able to take bikes for test rides so it's hard to make a comparison without having bicycle knowledge or ride experience.

Offline iammike

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2017, 04:05:24 PM »
Was today in Buriram but didn't visit any of the shops, the reason being, when I said to my wife that I wanted to buy a bicycle to go and go cycling she went (almost) ballastic and said No way, you might get run off the road by a car. I have to agree with her, remember that guy who was on a worldtour with his family and got mowed down by (drunk?) pick up driver. Too many idiots on the road and on a bike you are defenceless.

@Freddy.

I am afraid if I buy a bike from Big C I will not be able to ride it because of my length, and you have to have a good position (Almost be able to stretch your legs) on your bike if you wanna avoid injuries. For me I would need a 18+" frame, and I don't think you can get that kind in Big C. Also consider build quality. Good that you are happy with your bike and didn't have to spend a lot ;)

Offline Freddy

• Gifte​d Poster
  • http://buriramexpats.com/
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2017, 04:29:19 PM »
I don't go to far on the roads and try to get onto the tracks as soon as possible. Your wife's right.

You probably right about the Big C collection. I think they were all the same size. I'm a short arse so OK for me.

Just in case, I wasn't in anyway being critical of those who spend more on a bike. I have no doubt that the benefits are there, I just don't know what they are.

Offline iammike

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2017, 04:44:12 PM »
@Freddy

I know ;)

I wish I could buy a bike at Big C that fits me but unfortunately I can't.

Bigger sizes attract bigger prizes and especially as the bigger size bikes are (my guess) imported.

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2017, 06:38:55 PM »
Was today in Buriram but didn't visit any of the shops, the reason being, when I said to my wife that I wanted to buy a bicycle to go and go cycling she went (almost) ballastic and said No way, you might get run off the road by a car. I have to agree with her, remember that guy who was on a worldtour with his family and got mowed down by (drunk?) pick up driver. Too many idiots on the road and on a bike you are defenceless.

Mike,

Just stay off the main roads.  Most waterways have trails along side, they make great riding.  It is a lot of fun to see what you can find.  I probably have over 15K Kilometers on these trails and the only issue (other than flats) I can recall was me being male (stupid), decided to use the stream crossing (that I had done many times) when it was rain swollen.  Made it without incident, but in retrospect I should have turned back.

However, when if you do this take not only a tire repair kit and pump, but have a spare tube.  Several times my flats were unrepairable, one such that I called my Brit Buddy to come pick me up.  I also have a camelback with a "Keith" repair kit, spare towel and med kit.  Once got attacked by thorn vine that had me leaking blood. 

One of the most fun things doing this is to get in these back small villages and see the children stare at the strange Farang.  I hold out my had to be slapped, once they figure out what I am doing they line up and laugh as I go by.  I once had a parent on a scooter come over to my side of the road and hold his daughters hand out to touch mine.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 06:43:48 PM by urleft »

Offline iammike

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2017, 07:23:56 PM »
Thanks @Urleft, really appreciated and very inspiring.

From experience and also had a look around Google maps and been talking to the wife, but there aren't that many roads here that are "secluded". Oke the road from our village to the next is oke to drive on a bike but they all eventually end up to become "major" roads without any other side roads. You could do Rice Field trails here, but I don't think that is good for your knees and bike ;)

I am (as the Crow flies) around 15km from Krasang and I haven't found one secluded road all the way to Krasang, there is one road to the another village (on the way to Krasang) that is made for a mountain bike but that is about it. The rest (approx 10km) is a "major" road with all kinds of traffic.

My guess is it would be boring in the long run for me when I have only a couple of roads to choose from.

Please stay safe on your Bike Travels, but I'm going to stick to walking for the time being.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 07:25:38 PM by iammike »

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2017, 08:35:11 PM »
Hey Bud, do what is best for you.  But walk or ride one of the things I did was check out google maps view of the area to find new routes.  As I said, there are almost always trails along the water.  Ithink this is near the area you are talking:

https://www.google.co.th/maps/@14.9280381,103.2881027,1267m/data=!3m1!1e3

Roads (trails) can be seen on the Satillite view that do not show up as roads.

And oops, I just looked around.  Can you say anything about the Winery? 

https://www.google.co.th/maps/@14.933489,103.2804066,1267m/data=!3m1!1e3
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 08:40:11 PM by urleft »

Offline iammike

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2017, 08:41:49 PM »
Thx, that google map location is quiet close to Krasang I am way more north from there.

Funny on that page, it shows in English that there is a Bicycle store, but the Thai text says a Farm 55555

https://www.google.co.th/maps/@14.9849491,103.3543999,16z/data=!3m1!1e3

Offline iammike

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2017, 08:43:58 PM »
That winery, ask your wife to read the Thai text, it's a pig farm ;) 5555555

A special bouquet of wine ;) 55555

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2017, 08:46:45 PM »
LOL. swine wine, love it.

Offline iammike

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2017, 08:50:48 PM »
And this is NOT a military base but a sort of a local Bank ;)

https://www.google.co.th/maps/@14.9226546,103.2897378,17z/data=!3m1!1e3

Wow you gotta love Google Maps ;)

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2017, 01:07:07 PM »
Happened to see another bicycle shop that looks to have decent bikes.  It's across the street from the Siam Commercial Bank. 

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: Golf Clubs by Mod
March 23, 2024, 12:46:14 AM

Golf Clubs by andy
March 22, 2024, 03:24:32 AM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick
March 10, 2024, 05:30:21 PM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by Mod
March 06, 2024, 02:03:52 PM

Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick