{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: USD tanking against Thai baht.  (Read 196186 times)

Offline CO-CO

• Gifte​d Poster
  • http://buriramexpats.com/
Re: USD tanking against Thai baht.
« Reply #195 on: March 11, 2015, 10:50:07 PM »
Wow, exchange hitting 32.8 to $1.    Time to transfer.

OK for short-termism...... but I hope you have the balls to hold on to any investments because the stock market will react to those rates.

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #196 on: March 12, 2015, 01:20:42 AM »
Wow, exchange hitting 32.8 to $1.    Time to transfer.

OK for short-termism...... but I hope you have the balls to hold on to any investments because the stock market will react to those rates.

My point is that when you need to tranfer money do it at the best rate for you.   For example, I am trying to tranfer to catch the 32.8 rate, two weeks ago I may have gotten 32 To $1, with a large transfer that can be significant money. 

But if you go back to an earlier post of mine, Expats need to have a mix of assets to survive with minimal stress. 

For me, rates up and down, I think I will build a front yard fountain and forgo building rental units on other land. 

I will save that nest Leo for tomorrow. 

Offline toffo

• Member in the hall of honorary
« Reply #197 on: March 12, 2015, 11:08:51 AM »
Gonna be some condos going cheap soon when the  crash comes.. Keep your powder dry till then

Offline gotlost

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #198 on: March 12, 2015, 12:51:07 PM »
Gonna be some condos going cheap soon when the  crash comes.. Keep your powder dry till then

Thais never discount. They will let that property turn to dust.

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #199 on: March 12, 2015, 01:33:05 PM »
I have heard a lot of Russians are in trouble and having to sell. 

Offline CO-CO

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #200 on: March 12, 2015, 02:44:44 PM »

Which crash is that ?

(Genuine question as there are several that have happened already).

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #201 on: March 24, 2015, 09:19:12 AM »
Well the rates peaked at just under 32.9 to $1 and are headed south again, currently at about 32.4 to $1

Seems my usual exchange tracker website:  http://bankexchangerates.daytodaydata.net/default.aspx
Found some competition for Super Rich in SIA Money Exchange which is showing higher rates:

http://www.sia-moneyexchange.com/en/

Offline DeputyDavid

• Reliable reporter on the right way
« Reply #202 on: March 25, 2015, 09:05:48 AM »
They move money so slowly from here, 3 days still waiting now the rate has dropped.   moneysmile

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #203 on: March 25, 2015, 09:12:33 AM »
They move money so slowly from here, 3 days still waiting now the rate has dropped.   moneysmile

Yup, the BB TT rate was 32.7 something when I tried to transfer, but ended up with 32.66.  Did the transfer Wed and it got posted Friday afternoon.  Which means there is not only a delay time in New York, but there is also one here. 

Offline DeputyDavid

• Reliable reporter on the right way
« Reply #204 on: March 25, 2015, 11:20:44 AM »
Got there at 1028 your time, 32.298.   It was at over 32.4 when I sent it.  Of course minus a couple little fees.  Oh well.  Part of the challenge.       moneysmile

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #205 on: April 27, 2015, 04:08:29 PM »
For most of the month the rate was hovering right around 32.3, not sure the it started up very recently, currently the top rate is 32.61 to $1.   Hopefully indications of good things to come. 

Offline mike

• Contributor with future
« Reply #206 on: April 28, 2015, 01:41:55 PM »
Hopefully indications of good things to come.
This article might give a better indication of where the baht is going

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/Exporters-wish-for-a-weaker-baht-unlikely-to-be-fu-30258803.html

BANGKOK: -- To the dismay of exporters, most economists are convinced that the Bank of Thailand will stay put when it meets on the policy rate this week.

In short, exporters will need to flex their muscles to boost sales, as the baht should stay at this level without a change in the policy rate, or could even appreciate further against the US dollar amid low oil prices.

Despite the government's pressure for further rate cuts to boost shipments, the biggest engine of the economy, the swelling current account surplus warrants no weakening of the baht in the short term.

The impact of a rate cut would be neutralised, while the central bank will have less ammunition to cope with possible global volatility and risks destabilising the country's financial strength.

Joey Chew, HSBC's Asia FX strategist, said last week that the baht has outperformed many other Asian currencies recently due mainly to the improvement in its current account surplus. Thailand's oil-trade deficit has also narrowed with the plunge in global oil prices, while tourism receipts have rebounded.

Moody's Investors Service expects oil prices in 2015-18 to average about 40 per cent lower than in 2011-14. This is a boon to oil-importing countries like Thailand, as its oil imports were about 12 per cent of gross domestic product (GDP) in 2013.

"Although the Bank of Thailand cut the policy rate earlier, the baht has been relatively unaffected since foreign equity and bond flows have been very muted over the past couple of years.

"Indeed, the absence of volatile capital flows is another reason for the baht's resilience, amid global financial market volatility," Chew said.

Most local economists believe that the Monetary Policy Committee would take no action, as it convenes for the third time this year on Wednesday. The central bank would rather wait for the release of official first-quarter economic indicators on May 18.

If the risk factors worsen, action can be taken at the fourth meeting in June.

New Zealand and Japan are also expected to maintain their monetary settings this week, pending more details on growth and inflation.

Moody's Analytics, the research arm of Moody's Investors Service, sees the central bank likely to keep rates on hold for the rest of this year. HSBC forecasts no change until early next year.

Though Thailand's exports contracted 4 per cent in the first two months of this year, low oil prices have fuelled the current account surplus, which would only strengthen the baht, not weaken it.

Thanks to lower oil prices and higher tourism receipts, the current account has been in surplus since last October. In December, the surplus hit an all-time high of US$5.15 billion. From 32.43 per dollar at end-September, the baht rose 0.3 per cent to 32.36 at end-February. It weakened in the first week after the rate cut in March, but later regained strength.

From $14.2 billion last year or 3.8 per cent of GDP, the International Monetary Fund expects a $17.2-billion surplus this year or 4.4 per cent.

HSBC's Chew said the baht's gains could slow in the second and third quarters, as some dividends paid by listed companies may leave the country, while the tourism industry will be entering the low season.

"Global factors may also play a role. We are seeing some signs of risk-taking in the market, which could favour other currencies with stronger growth and higher yields. In the second half, the dollar could strengthen once more, as the first rate hike nears. HSBC expects the Fed to raise the policy rate in September," he said.

Kobsidthi Silpachai, head of markets and economic research at Kasikornbank's capital markets business division, said cutting interest rates to influence the currency requires a diagnosis of whether interest rate differentials have resulted in speculative behaviour.

This can be seen through the level of foreign holdings of Bank of Thailand bonds.

"We view that cutting rates to weaken the baht would be effective when such positioning is high such as was the case in April 2013, when foreign positioning was about Bt300 billion. However, foreign positioning now is at Bt61 billion," he said.

Gundy Cahyadi of DBS Research said further rate cuts are often thought to be a way to weaken the baht, in order to boost export competitiveness.

"It is interesting to note, however, that the terms of the trade index has actually gone up by about 10 per cent alongside the 7-per-cent gain in the baht's real effective exchange rate (REER) in the past 12 months.

This is unlike in 2011-13, when the terms of trade fell by 3 per cent while the REER gained some 10 per cent," he said.

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #207 on: April 30, 2015, 09:22:14 PM »
Not sure what is the deal, but just checked the rate at it up to 32.85 to $1.  That is a very significant jump. 

Offline gotlost

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #208 on: April 30, 2015, 10:50:27 PM »
The TT is 32,85 and Xe at 33.04. Banks are closed now through May 5.

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #209 on: May 09, 2015, 11:01:39 PM »
I am still not sure what is happening, but the exchange rate is about 33.4 to $1.   

Is the rate going to continue to improve for expats?   That is the real question. 

If I could figure that out I would know when to transfer.  I have decided to do a wait and see (no real reason other than I don't need to transfer money). 

Any sourced prediction news is welcome. 

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: Golf Clubs by Mod
March 23, 2024, 12:46:14 AM

Golf Clubs by andy
March 22, 2024, 03:24:32 AM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick
March 10, 2024, 05:30:21 PM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by Mod
March 06, 2024, 02:03:52 PM