{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: Buriram Tree of Life Orphanage  (Read 54379 times)

Offline Vombatus

• Gifte​d Poster
Re: Buriram Tree of Life Orphanage
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2011, 06:42:41 PM »
Excellent response and I am now aware that 100% of last year's ride money went to the orphanage.

Not wishing to be pedantic but I was asking for confirmation that 100% from THIS year's ride will go to the orphanage because that is the question I am being asked.

Thanks.

Offline treehousemonkey

• Contributor with future
  • http://buriramexpats.com/
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2011, 06:56:23 PM »
Absolutely 100 percent will be spent for the orphanage.  To give you a rough idea:  electricity for the center runs around 8,500 baht per month, drinking water around 1,400 per month, city water around 1,000 baht per month, cooking gas around 600 baht per month, garbage collection 200 baht per month, Internet and telephone connections 1,500 baht per month, fuel for vehicles 7,000 baht er month, vehicle maintenance averages 1,000 baht per month, sewerage removal about 800 baht per month, food for 11 children plus four adults 30,000 baht per month (about 1,000 baht a day), education costs other than uniforms run about 2,000 baht per month.  When volunteers stay with us they pay for their food and accommodation as well (400 baht per person per day inclusive) any overage goes toward  keep the lights on and kids fed.  So far it has worked..  Having volunteers basically keeps us from going under.  We have most of them from January to end of September.  October through December is usually slow.  Many times we have no volunteers at all just like right now.  But in the time from from January to end of September it averages between 70-80 who come out to help for periods of one to three weeks. Donations including sponsorships this month look to be 690 dollars.  Last month it was a bit over 800 dollars. So it is going to be tight.  Depending on the success of next month's charity ride it will determine if we can keep the light on and children feed and clothe.  We are not a big operation, nver were and probably never will be.  But we know we are doing the right thing.

Offline Vombatus

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2011, 07:05:31 PM »
Brilliant - thank you. Sounds like you are doing a great job.

Prakhonchai Nick does have a good point though - with the orphanage fighting to keep it's head above water, why distribute funds raised elsewhere. I think orphanages pull on the heart strings of most people and are considered a 'worthy cause'. Good luck.

Offline treehousemonkey

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2011, 07:22:03 PM »
Good point.  The school projects is what brings in almost all of the volunteers. They in turn provide funds to keep us operating.  The TOLO Kids except for one  are in school most of the day except for weekends and the projects allow the volunteers to have something significant to do during their stay.  We don't help rich schools. We did a gigantic English camp for three days at Marie Anusorn which included 1,600 kids, a Catholic private school but I would be damned if I would do that school for free.  We were in a 37 million baht building.  We provided t-shirts and books, 20 foreign volunteers and my students at BRU who studied English for English Camps course got an opportunity to field test , have practicum in organizing and conducting camps.  The school charged their students 250 baht each and provided us with 190 baht which we used to buy shirts, books and provide materials.  The entire profit was 63,000 baht and it was entirely used for purchasing tile, cement, gravel, sand and grout and paint and painting supplies for fixing the school. The volunteers built a BBQ pit at the orphanage and funded a three burner stainless steel cooking unit to make it easier here to provide meals. We know the Thai government should be providing adequate funds for the schools.  Too many of the principals I have met in visiting over 600 schools are seat wasters.  Many are drunk during the day and unworthy of their pay.  Other teachers in the field are serious about teaching kids and give it their all in doing so. When I think "Thai government" I get a real bad taste in my mouth. We benefit by having the volunteers here and I have to do a lot of work chauffeuring them around in the back of my 14 year old pick up truck.  The Aussies and Belgians especially love the idea of riding in the back of what our Aussies call the Ute.  .

Offline binnsy

• Prolific Member
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2011, 07:34:46 AM »
After donating your pension how can you afford to go drinking around the Speed Area in Buriram?

Offline treehousemonkey

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2011, 08:10:40 AM »
I think you are being cheeky.  The only time I am any where near Speed is when I am chauffeuring volunteers from Bouworde.  If you saw me there I had a "nam soda" in my hand.  I have had 15 beers in 15 years.  I am not a regular drinker. I do santa claus and sing there on Christmas night.  Last year we received about 5,000 baht from patrons of speed at Christmas time.  Speed is generally way too noisy for my ears.  I prefer to sing karaoke at Thepnakorn, and there I drink coffee or nam soda. 

Offline Vombatus

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2011, 08:32:17 AM »
With Binnsy's drinking habits I doubt anyone needs to justify what they imbibe !!

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2011, 09:30:31 AM »
I am still trying to find my way around Thailand.  How would I get to the TOLO from Buriram city?

Offline dundeemk6

• Active member on the right way
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2011, 09:48:35 AM »
And from Lahansai ?

Offline Vombatus

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2011, 09:52:40 AM »
And from Lahansai ?

Go to Buriram first and follow URLEFT  !

Offline Prakhonchai Nick

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2011, 09:53:53 AM »
Ask Dave the Dude!

sugardaddyken

« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2011, 11:13:31 AM »
I have  started up a Home for Ex-Bargirls that are down on their luck . I have putt all of my small pension into it and help them out as much as possible.I have been doing this for over 10 years now it it gives me great pleasure to see those smiling faces when I put that 500 Baht into their hands.Now it the time for me to try for the real help. I have Built a big house ( 10 bedroom) for me and all the Ex-Bar Girls.We need (to give you a rough idea)  electricity for the House runs around 8,500 baht per month ( those girls do like their Air Con ), drinking water ( and Leo ) around 21,400 per month, city water around 1,000 baht per month, cooking gas around 20 baht per month ( we will eat out most nights ), garbage collection 200 baht per month, Internet and telephone connections and True Vision ( for the Soaps,a must for all Ex-Bar Girls )   3.000 baht per month, fuel for vehicles 7,000 baht a month, vehicle maintenance averages 1,000 baht per month, sewerage removal about 1.200 baht per month ( boy do these girls sh^t a lot ), food for 10 girls plus 1 adult  (  thumbup )60,000 baht per month (about 2,000 baht a day), uniforms run about 2,000 baht per month  yum1.  When volunteers stay (  ::) ) with us they pay for their food and accommodation as well (3,000 baht per person per day inclusive of girls ) any overage goes toward  keeping the red lights on the Veranda.  I think it will work.  smilenod
So if any members want to dig deep to help me out and keep these girls off the street all monies would be welcome, I need about 105,120 Baht a month to live in the lifestyle I and these girls need...PLEASE.PLEASE help. pray1
Last Christmas period  one of the girls managed to raise over 300,000 baht by hanging out outside of Big C,Tesco Lotus and Makro ,just to keep the Home going,this year we will be hoping to be using 5 girls,lets hope the money keeps rolling in   thumbup
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 11:22:51 AM by sugardaddyken »

Offline Vombatus

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2011, 11:16:42 AM »
Could call it Nok's Knocking Shop

sugardaddyken

« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2011, 11:21:46 AM »
Could call it Nok's Knocking Shop

Coffeecorner,how could you say such things  nono,Its a Home for nice ladies only  and audited ( cooked  :biggrin: ) books can be seen before donations are made  :)

Offline Prakhonchai Nick

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2011, 11:47:21 AM »
Where are you? I want to be a volunteer.

Nookie says CoCo will tag along too!

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: Golf Clubs by Mod
March 23, 2024, 12:46:14 AM

Golf Clubs by andy
March 22, 2024, 03:24:32 AM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick
March 10, 2024, 05:30:21 PM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by Mod
March 06, 2024, 02:03:52 PM