{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: Buriram Tree of Life Orphanage  (Read 54192 times)

Offline KeesM

• Contributor with future
  • http://buriramexpats.com/
Buriram Tree of Life Orphanage
« on: July 11, 2011, 04:53:25 AM »
All, in case you didn't know, there's an orphanage in Buriram. And they can really use some help. So if you have some time or money left, please contact them: http://www.treeoflifeorphanage.com/

The people are doing many projects and are helping a lot of children. They are working without any support from the government. And you all have probably an income from your homeland. So even small donations in our currency are big in Thai Baht. You wont miss it, but for them it's substantial. And regarding all the 'presents' all of you have been buying for your girls (according to another chat here) you sure must have loads of money. ;-) Please, they do lots and lots of good work. Help them!

See also those 2 links from youtube, the first is about the story of the orphanage, the second is an impression of the orphanage, the children and some volunteers. Certainly worth looking.

Offline Puba

Re: Buriram Tree of Life Orphanage
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 07:15:37 AM »
In Thailand it is tricky to believe such things, is this organization licensed by the government?

Offline Vombatus

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 07:29:18 AM »
Tree of Life is being heavily supported by local motorbike groups with a charity bike run on 5th November.

Offline Puba

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 07:50:24 AM »
Near my home there is school who take care of 2000+ student yearly from 1984 for free until their high school and fully paid by the governments.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 12:24:31 AM by Admin »

Offline KeesM

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 10:32:53 PM »
Tree of Life is being heavily supported by local motorbike groups with a charity bike run on 5th November.

Yes, I think I remember he mentioned something about it in the short time I was there.

After 2 times in a holiday in Pattaya, I decided to go the 3th time more into the country to see and learn more about Thailand. I first was looking on internet for information about Surin and surroundings, and after some days discovered a blog from someone in Belgium about his stay in Thailand and that he also had been working here at TOLO in Buriram. I promised him to visit it, should I ever be in the neighbourhood. So when my girlfriend had family here, it was a very coincidental opportunity. Too bad I then only had little time because we were depending on transportation by the family. No need to say that next time the Orphanage will be 1 of the first places i go back to visit.

Offline Puba

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2011, 06:13:57 AM »
Before to donate I would see before my eyes, my next visit will include this event.

Offline treehousemonkey

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2011, 11:19:41 AM »
I just joined BE and I noticed that there were several comments about Tree of Life Orphanage.  One said he wouldn't believe it until he visited.  Please feel free to do so.  We never ask for donations. But we do accept them.  We prefer people to visit before making a donation.  We want them to see for themselves that we are real.  My wife Phongsri and I have been running this center since Jan 1, 1998 and we have helped many children both here (we have raised 65 children through the center) and  assisted about 200 hundred children at the Wat Ban Yoei Sakae School over the past eight years (along the Huay Talat Reservoir on the Buriram-Prachonchai Highway.. Stop bye the school and see for yourself. We have had 629 volunteers to date not including visitors who show up.  45 countries have sent volunteers and we have more coming all the time.  Our largest sender of volunteers in the Bouworde Foundation from Belgium.  We have had 9 teams from them in the last three years and already have 3 more groups scheduled for next summer.  We are currently in the process of making sports fields--- for soccer, basketball, takrow, badminton, volleyball and betong (Italians call it bocci ball).  We are also creating a free scout camp location adjacent to the waterway which will be available to all schools free of charge.  We are a licensed Thai orphanage for sure but we have to date refused governmental funding because (I do not need to explain that we dislike corruption).  Fir the past three years I have been the Big C Santa to raise funds for the school. I start Santa again at Big C on 26 November. To date we have put 1.8 million baht into improvements to the facilities at Ban Yoie Sakae and i providing uniforms, shoes, books and school supplies and other support to the children there. You are welcome to come see for yourselves what we are all about.  Last year I published my first novel entitled The Mean Streets of LA: Taking out the Trash, available locally for 300 baht or from amazon.com (16.00 dollars).  All profits go to the Ban Yoei Sakae School project.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 11:22:50 AM by treehousemonkey »

Offline jockey

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2011, 03:56:39 PM »
Hi roger.i see your collection boxes in many places is this not asking for donations ?? can you explain what you mean by( I do not need to explain that we dislike corruption).

Offline Happylarry

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2011, 04:17:57 PM »
That sounds a bit confrontational mr jockey

Offline treehousemonkey

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2011, 04:36:49 PM »
What I meant about corruption is this: we avoid dealing with the government whenever possible.  We go to the meetings when they call us to participate but we do not solicit their help.  About 12 years ago we were approached and offered some money.  we were asked to sign for 400K but would only receive 240K.  I asked why?  They said they would provide us with 160K worth of receipts to submit to them.  I smelled a rat immediately. I said we would sign for 400K is we received 400K  otherwise I would sign for only 240K.  I was told I was being foolish.  I told them I grew up under the boy scout code.  We refused their offer.  When we raise funds  for school projects we buy  what is needed and receive receipts.  Those who have raised the funds are with us and they take the receipts with them when they go.  We do not hand out money.  My entire pension from the US government and previous to that my entire salary was donated to the orphanage.  It still is except for a portion that goes to my daughter's university cost.  The boxes we have placed around the city--over fifty of them are counted and funds used to meet costs of operation of the orphanage, utilities, fuel, food, maintenance. We placed boxes (24of them) in June 2010.  We have raised through the boxes a total of 67K since then. We now have over 50 boxes out and some have less than 100 baht in them.  Others a whole lot more.    Try to imagine how much it costs to raise 11 children in a home and you will see we don't get a great deal of help. Boxes are there for those who wish to give.  I am sure thousands of folks walk by them without ever putting anything in.  They are there for those who want to help.  So be it. I do not receive a salary, never have and never plan to from the orphanage.  The book campaign was set up to encourage kids to learn English.  Used books were gathered around the world and sent to us in postal mailbags.  We established 40 school collections in rural poor schools who receive very little support from the Thai government with a  minimum of 50 children's books per school, brought volunteers to the schools,conducted reading circles or mini-English camps (2-3 hours) ad then left.  We discontinued these efforts about 5 years ago.  Mailing costs for books went from 1 dollar a pound to 3.50 dollars. If you have any other questions have at it and let me know or call me.  Door is always open.

Offline Vombatus

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2011, 04:47:32 PM »
That looks like a good response.

Could you just confirm, for the avoidance of doubt this year, that 100% of the monies raised on the forthcoming Buccaneer Charity Bike Ride on 4/5th November will go to the orphanage and ONLY the orphanage.

sugardaddyken

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2011, 05:07:02 PM »
treehousemonkey,you really are a saint  bravo1

Offline Prakhonchai Nick

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2011, 05:34:35 PM »
That looks like a good response.

Could you just confirm, for the avoidance of doubt this year, that 100% of the monies raised on the forthcoming Buccaneer Charity Bike Ride on 4/5th November will go to the orphanage and ONLY the orphanage.

I imagine this question is asked due to you mentioning above that you (the orphanage?) have assisted over 200 children at Wat Ban Yoei Sakae School.

Why if the orphanage is desperate for funds do you assist others?

Offline Vombatus

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2011, 05:49:42 PM »

This question was asked for the following reasons:-

1. There was some confusion last year that resulted in unnecessary ill-feeling.
2. The broad scope of activities do not suit some people and they would want to make a contribution SPECIFICALLY to the orphanage.
3. I have been asked by customers where the funds raised on the Charity Bike Ride are going  -  I want to be able to answer their questions unequivocally.

Personally, I admire the work of such organisations and such individuals. It is not for me, or the likes of Prakhonchai Nick to question where such fund-raisers choose to allocate their funds - as long as everything is totally transparent.

Where I think it is VERY important is at the GIVING stage. I know people like Nick will not be happy if their 100 Baht is dissipated amongst a whole host of beneficiaries that may bear no resemblance, or connection, to the core fund i.e. Tree of Life orphanage suggests that is an orphanage not a library for local schools or provider of uniforms. That said, I repeat that those voluntarily raising funds have the right to direct those funds in accordance with their own mandate.

This is equally true of donors. I imagine Nick, not unlike myself, would want to ensure that OUR money is specifically directed to where WE want it to go. We may share the belief that it is the role of government to provide books etc - and even support orphans before providing PC tablets! - but at least I am happy for my donation to be used to support orphans, I am less happy to contribute to book purchases for other local schools.

Offline treehousemonkey

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2011, 06:38:03 PM »
100 percent from last year's charity ride went exclusively to the orphanage.  We always put the money where the donor asks it to go.  For example on my face-book page  we are raising money for grass sod for the school's playing fields.  100 dollars has been given for this cause from 2 friends of mine in America and England who wrote me and indicated that is where they wanted to contribute the money.  I honor the donor by telling them and doing exactly what they have asked..  That is the only place it will be spent.  If someone says here is "XXX" baht. I want it spent for project Y"  (one of their choice), that is exactly where it is spent. If someone else says here is XXX you are free to spend it on any project you deem appropriate, only then will we consider spending it on whatever. we choose  I have been a volunteer since I was 16 and I take volunteering serious.  Yes, we have needs.  We do have sponsors who send money to meet those needs.  Donation levels are inconsistent month to month.  I will not allow anyone to sponsor my own children.  That is my responsibility and I wouldn't be much of a father if I didn't honor that obligation.  Knowing that my daughter's college would be expensive I put aside forty percent of my pension and continue to do so of my government pension until she finishes. I taught at the Buriram Rajabhat University part-time this term (3 hours per week, 87 students) that just finished to buy my daughter a computer notebook to help her in her studies.  It cost my entire compensation plus 400 baht  from that as it was the only course I taught for the semester..  I would not consider buying any computers for a school but if someone decided to donate them to us for that reason I would certainly provide them.  We did not buy the books for the schools.  They were donated and nearly all of them were second hand but still quite usable. I have been an English teacher for many years and I feel the job done by the Thai government towards getting Thai children to learn English is a total waste of government funds.  As far as school uniforms is concerned we had a donor pay for the first round 100 percent.  He was an instructor, former retired military working in Iraq.  He thought it was a worthy cause so he paid for it.  Another friend, former CFO of Xerox bought all the kids uniforms for mother's day in 2009.  He can well afford it.  Three college girls from Wollagong University in Australia bought shoes for all the kids at the school.  They had volunteered there during their stay.  This year the 30 percent from the Santa campaign is for students.  The money has to be paced in the single box I will have with me at Big C and walking along the street. Last year I wore that extremely hot red suit and heavy clunky boots for 290 hours between 23 November and 26 December.  I will start this year on 26 November which will commemorate my deceased mother's ninetieth birthday and finish on Sunday 25 December.  This year's goal is 100,000 baht.  Last year we took in 100,623 baht

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: Golf Clubs by Mod
March 23, 2024, 12:46:14 AM

Golf Clubs by andy
March 22, 2024, 03:24:32 AM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick
March 10, 2024, 05:30:21 PM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by Mod
March 06, 2024, 02:03:52 PM

Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick