{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: Applying For 1 & 5 Year Thai Driving  (Read 129485 times)

Offline mahdam

• Contributor on the right way
  • http://buriramexpats.com/
Re: Applying For 1 & 5 Year Thai Driving
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2012, 02:53:28 PM »
I will be back in Buriram at the end of Oct, and see that my one year Thai driving licence is due for renewal around the same time.

What is the procedure for changing it to the five year licence?  Do i need to get a load more forms signed or is it straight forward?

Offline JimNasium

• Contributor with future
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2012, 12:02:47 PM »
The last time I did this (5 years ago) in Buriram, I had to do a simple multiple choice test on a touch screen computer console in English. But this was only because my previous license expired by a week. I just did a 5 year renewal again but in Bangkok this time. Here, they made me do a sight and colour blindness test and a reaction time test and then made me sit through a 1 hour Thai movie. Pays your monies and collects your new license. No new forms. Only a copy of your passport and Non-Imm visa or work permit. Easy.

Offline nookiebear

• Gifte​d Poster
  • nookie by name, nookie by nature!!
    • Nookie's delights
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2012, 12:55:00 PM »
Not quite so in Nang Rong,,,,,to renew your initial 1 year into a 5 year ,you need Immigration letter,& medical certificate....Dont go until AFTER your 1 year has expired otherwise you'll only get another for 1 year....no tests of any sort....pay your money ,take your photo ,all done inside 10 mins

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2013, 10:37:41 PM »
OK, this will be interesting.

My one year Licenses expire tomorrow, per the license TG, I should let them expire before I renew. 

So next week I hope to get both a car and cycle license  which will be good for 5 years.  I have been told the only thing I need to bring is my passport.  Then pass the depth and color test, pay some baht and get new licenses. 

Anyone find anything different from what I stated for Buriram city?

Offline Alan

• Active member on the right way
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2013, 12:43:06 AM »
I don't remember needing to re sit the eye colour and depth test. Just a paperwork exercise if I remember correctly.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Gifte​d Poster
  • Admin
    • www.buriramexpats.com
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2013, 01:09:25 AM »
I don't remember needing to re sit the eye colour and depth test. Just a paperwork exercise if I remember correctly.
Me too. sawadi

Offline jay1971

« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2013, 01:31:34 AM »
Hi im just after some advice please, if im planning to drive in thailand what license do i need , what do i need to do to get a thai licence, i have built a house in nr prasat with my thai g/f , i normaly only spend 6 weeks at a time there, someone said you need to stya for over 3 months to apply, also is an international license any good, i only have a uk license at the min, any info would be appreiciated

thanks jay

Offline nookiebear

• Gifte​d Poster
    • Nookie's delights
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2013, 05:19:11 AM »
Same for me in Nang Rong but I did need the Immigration letter & a medical certificate

Offline nookiebear

• Gifte​d Poster
    • Nookie's delights
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2013, 05:26:31 AM »
Hi im just after some advice please, if im planning to drive in thailand what license do i need , what do i need to do to get a thai licence, i have built a house in nr prasat with my thai g/f , i normaly only spend 6 weeks at a time there, someone said you need to stya for over 3 months to apply, also is an international license any good, i only have a uk license at the min, any info would be appreiciated

thanks jay
You get seperate licences for vehicles & M/C'S.......The initial one's for 1 year ,then every 5 years.
At one time the Police seemed to accept your UK licence but nowadays many do not,they should however accept an International one but you cannot be 100% sure.The type of Visa you have may exclude you from getting one,,,,Offices vary from area to area,,,best to go in and ask

Offline Prakhonchai Nick

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2013, 06:14:03 AM »
An International Licence is fine for a short stay as a tourist.

However if you are here for more than 3 months,voluntary insurance (ie class 1/comprehensive) will likely be invalid unless you have a Thai driving licence

Offline Nobby

• Reliable reporter on the right way
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2013, 08:52:41 AM »
You get seperate licences for vehicles & M/C'S.......The initial one's for 1 year ,then every 5 years.
At one time the Police seemed to accept your UK licence but nowadays many do not,they should however accept an International one but you cannot be 100% sure.The type of Visa you have may exclude you from getting one,,,,Offices vary from area to area,,,best to go in and ask

Thats because they are different offices.  :D :D :D

International Licences are valid for one year only, but In my experience Thai police are not interested in them when you are pulled over because Thai is not one of the languages printed on them.

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2013, 09:04:00 AM »

thanks jay

I recommend you get the International Driver's Permit (IDP), make sure they include motorcycles. 

The IDP made it easier to get the Thai Licenses.  Note that the IDP requires you to have a valid driver's license also, but if stopped by the police, the IDP is usually sufficient. 

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2013, 09:53:12 AM »
OK, this will be interesting.

My one year Licenses expire tomorrow, per the license TG, I should let them expire before I renew. 

So next week I hope to get both a car and cycle license  which will be good for 5 years.  I have been told the only thing I need to bring is my passport.  Then pass the depth and color test, pay some baht and get new licenses. 

Anyone find anything different from what I stated for Buriram city?

You will need the full set of documents.

Take your old licences, a copy of your passport(photo page and visa page. You will also need a residence confirmation. If you are going to the main Buriram office, which is on the left hand side not long after you pass the football stadium on your right, you DO NOT need a letter from Immigration. You can obtain the required document from Buriram Police Station. A medical certificate is also required and can be obtained from any clinic in Buriram.

Whether you need to take tests or not varies from day to day. I didn't need to take any. Also the new licence is now valid for longer. You will get 5 years plus extra months taking you to your following birthday.

For anyone who may be working here a Work Permit can be used as residence confrimation.

Offline nookiebear

• Gifte​d Poster
    • Nookie's delights
« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2013, 10:31:09 AM »

Thats because they are different offices.  :D :D :D

International Licences are valid for one year only, but In my experience Thai police are not interested in them when you are pulled over because Thai is not one of the languages printed on them.
Unless the International licences have altered recently ,you had to stipulate for which country you required one for.ie Thailand.It was then supplied written in Thai.

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2013, 11:14:22 PM »
Interim report.

I tried to get new Driver's licenses on 11 Feb, hoped to get 5 year.  I had my Passport (copies of main page and current Thai visa).  It was not enough.

1.  The Driver's License place has changed.  You now drive into a gated area (white and purple), immediately turn right and park.  Enter the building and go to the 2nd floor for a Driver's License. 

2.  Had to get new Police Report.  If you need to do this, hopefully have copy of old one to show them. Their filing system is an empty paper box.   Also the room moved from the 2nd floor right side front to middle left back 2nd floor.  Make sure you have recent Photo.

3.  Need Doctor's certificate.  Last year I got from an actual doctor that at least listened to my heart, cost 40 Baht.  This year because I was  trying about 2 pm, used a skin clinic, cost 100 baht, but there was no check on anything, the desk clerk completed the form.   

So tomorrow, 14 Feb I hope to get my new 5 year licenses, will update on progress. 

But from what I gather so far, I need to have:

-Previous Thai Driver's Licenses
-Copy of Police report (if have Yellow book not needed)
-Medical report (1 for each License)
-Passport and 1 year "visa" (copy for each license)

Hopefully I will update tomorrow that I was success in getting new Licenses. 

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: Golf Clubs by Mod
March 23, 2024, 12:46:14 AM

Golf Clubs by andy
March 22, 2024, 03:24:32 AM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick
March 10, 2024, 05:30:21 PM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by Mod
March 06, 2024, 02:03:52 PM

Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick