{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: Applying For 1 & 5 Year Thai Driving  (Read 129450 times)

Offline dimple joe

• Prolific Member
Re: Applying For 1 & 5 Year Thai Driving
« Reply #120 on: March 17, 2017, 04:10:03 PM »
Following public disquiet about the announcement of new regulations the Ministry of silly ideas which have not been thought through properly (back pedaling section) issued a clarification.

"The Ministry of Transport yesterday said the proposed new ministerial regulation that will impose higher standards in obtaining new driving licence won't be enforced soon but at least a year later."

So it looks like the usual smoke and mirrors - big fuss to show we really care about road safety but it'll all be forgotten in time.

TIT

Transport clarifies imposing higher standards to obtain new driving licence - Thai PBS English News

Offline fishy

• Contributor on the right way
  • http://buriramexpats.com/
« Reply #121 on: May 03, 2017, 10:09:31 PM »
Question 1..What do you need to do (provide) to renew your current Thai Drivers License... Mine expires in one month.... I hold a 1 year license?

Question 2.. How long before (or after) license expires can you apply for a renewal.?

Thanks for comments............

Offline Freddy

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #122 on: May 03, 2017, 10:35:54 PM »
Assuming nothing has changed -

Certificate of residence or Yellow house book. If COR can obtain from Buriram Police Stn.
Medical certificate.
Copy of passport.

Best to let existing lisence expire by a day and you should then get a 5 yr lisence this time around. I believe that if you apply before the current expires you'll only get another year one. It's a nonsense but there you go.
My Mrs renewed hers at the same time I did mine, it had expired 7 months previously. Not a word said and 5 year renewal issued.

Offline BillH52

• Active member on the right way
« Reply #123 on: May 04, 2017, 02:52:27 AM »
Recently did my first renewal, from 2 yr to 5 yr.  Agree with Freddy, except they quoted it could be renewed up to one year prior to expiration.  Some renewals also required sitting in hour long class, but no test (not required of me, not sure why not).

Offline nookiebear

• Gifte​d Poster
  • nookie by name, nookie by nature!!
    • Nookie's delights
« Reply #124 on: May 04, 2017, 06:07:36 AM »
Recently did my first renewal, from 2 yr to 5 yr.  Agree with Freddy, except they quoted it could be renewed up to one year prior to expiration.  Some renewals also required sitting in hour long class, but no test (not required of me, not sure why not).
You will have to do the hour long video when you renew your 5 year one

Offline Freddy

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #125 on: May 04, 2017, 06:41:24 AM »
Bill 52 is correct and for clarification. If you apply for renewal before your current expires you'll get re-issued with just a 1 year lisence. If you let it expire then you get the 5 year lisence. Crazy situation as it supports and encourages driving without a lisence for at least 1 day but there you go!! TIT !!
Have no idea if the police would fine you if at checkpoint with a lisence that expired previous day and you told them on your way to Land Transport Office for a new one. 1,000 baht fine would be more than the new lisence.

Offline davureborn

• Member in the hall of honorary
« Reply #126 on: May 04, 2017, 07:02:39 AM »
You will have to do the hour long video when you renew your 5 year one
Probably.
 I was dragged out of the video after about five minutes and got my license straight away. Maybe a little tea money would help avoid this?

Offline nookiebear

• Gifte​d Poster
    • Nookie's delights
« Reply #127 on: May 04, 2017, 04:07:09 PM »
Bill 52 is correct and for clarification. If you apply for renewal before your current expires you'll get re-issued with just a 1 year lisence. If you let it expire then you get the 5 year lisence. Crazy situation as it supports and encourages driving without a lisence for at least 1 day but there you go!! TIT !!
Have no idea if the police would fine you if at checkpoint with a lisence that expired previous day and you told them on your way to Land Transport Office for a new one. 1,000 baht fine would be more than the new lisence.
Nowadays the provisional licence is for 2 years not 1 year!Hence if you go before your initial 2 years has expired you get another for 2 years

Offline gotlost

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #128 on: May 04, 2017, 04:43:41 PM »
Nowadays the provisional licence is for 2 years not 1 year!Hence if you go before your initial 2 years has expired you get another for 2 years

Just asking nookie but the DLT in Prasat and Surin will let you get a 5 year license at the end of 1 year of the 2 year Temporary License.

Offline nookiebear

• Gifte​d Poster
    • Nookie's delights
« Reply #129 on: May 04, 2017, 06:34:03 PM »

Just asking nookie but the DLT in Prasat and Surin will let you get a 5 year license at the end of 1 year of the 2 year Temporary License.
Never heard that GL

Offline gotlost

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #130 on: May 04, 2017, 07:14:38 PM »

Never heard that GL

You have forum members that have done this.

Offline BillH52

• Active member on the right way
« Reply #131 on: May 05, 2017, 07:13:42 AM »
I requested a license renewal at end of March (7 mos early) of my 2 yr license to a 5 yr license (my reason was due to returning to USA for several months); the lady first said - no, can't do that.  Her co-worker spoke up & advised her yes I could and quoted the section addressing the issue. 

As to the question of whether it is a 2 or 5 yr renewal, I am looking at both mc and auto as I type; expire date is on birth date June, 2022.  I suggest you do your own arithmetic, but that seems to me close to just over 5 years from now.

Offline Freddy

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #132 on: May 05, 2017, 07:50:11 AM »
Mine was also rounded up to birthday date. Renewed in September 2015, expires January 2021 so 5 yrs and 4 months give or take.

Offline Freddy

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #133 on: August 28, 2017, 08:57:15 AM »
Can anyone confirm that the Buriram  DLT won't require COR if I have Yellow Housebook for motorcycle licence. Thanks.

Offline iammike

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #134 on: August 28, 2017, 10:36:09 AM »
For renewal that is correct, my wife was told that 2 weeks ago, that you only need YTB. But YMMV as TiT ;)

One question though ! Are you renewing or getting a new license ?? Maybe they have a different "rule set" for new licenses (just thinking out loud here )
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 10:39:33 AM by iammike »

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: Golf Clubs by Mod
March 23, 2024, 12:46:14 AM

Golf Clubs by andy
March 22, 2024, 03:24:32 AM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick
March 10, 2024, 05:30:21 PM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by Mod
March 06, 2024, 02:03:52 PM