{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: Applying For 1 & 5 Year Thai Driving  (Read 129502 times)

Offline Ahab

• Active member on the right way
  • Mostly right, just ask me
Re: Applying For 1 & 5 Year Thai Driving
« Reply #105 on: March 13, 2017, 03:15:59 PM »
 So for the Nang Rong Transportation Office I needed:
Copy of my yellow house book
Copy of the ID card of the first name occupant of the blue house book (my mother in law)
Copy of the blue house book
Copy of my passport and Visa pages
Medical certificate
International drivers license (copies of several pages that they showed us)
305 Thai baht

Did not have to watch a video, just took the depth perception, color, peripheral vision, and reaction time tests.

In and out with a 2 year Thai drivers license in just a bit over 1 hour total. They were not interested in my Hawaii drivers license.

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #106 on: March 13, 2017, 06:45:24 PM »
You must almost be finished your tings to do list now. Nice one.

Offline Ahab

« Reply #107 on: March 13, 2017, 07:12:35 PM »
We have a bunch more things to do, but this is one less on the list. bananadance

Offline nookiebear

• Gifte​d Poster
  • nookie by name, nookie by nature!!
    • Nookie's delights
« Reply #108 on: March 14, 2017, 05:12:16 AM »
We have a bunch more things to do, but this is one less on the list. bananadance
I thought you may have struggled with the reaction time test !!

Offline Ahab

« Reply #109 on: March 14, 2017, 07:51:55 AM »
My lightning fast, cat-like reflexes made that test super easy.

Offline Ahab

« Reply #110 on: March 14, 2017, 07:55:15 AM »
In all seriousness though the posts and advice from the people (even Nookie) on this forum made this really easy. Thank you all.

Offline NongKi bloke

• Contributor with future
« Reply #111 on: March 14, 2017, 10:13:46 AM »
All of us are guilty of getting worked up about Thai bureaucracy but at the end of the day it generally gets done. Maybe you have to go and get another photocopy or even make a second trip. Its not like we have too much to do. There will still be time for a beer at the end of the day. tonguebar

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #112 on: March 14, 2017, 10:23:07 AM »
I actually struggled with the color test last time.  There amber light was light green, not yellow.  At my peripheral I had issues deciding which green was showing.

Offline Ahab

« Reply #113 on: March 14, 2017, 10:39:52 AM »
I actually struggled with the color test last time.  There amber light was light green, not yellow.  At my peripheral I had issues deciding which green was showing.

Same thing with me yesterday, but once the lady showed me what green actually looked I got though it OK.

Offline Ahab

« Reply #114 on: March 14, 2017, 10:41:12 AM »
All of us are guilty of getting worked up about Thai bureaucracy but at the end of the day it generally gets done. Maybe you have to go and get another photocopy or even make a second trip. Its not like we have too much to do. There will still be time for a beer at the end of the day. tonguebar

Very true.

Offline Freddy

• Gifte​d Poster
  • http://buriramexpats.com/
« Reply #115 on: March 14, 2017, 10:44:04 AM »
Yes, I had same problem both times I've got a lisence. First traffic light I said was green which turns out was the Amber. Once you get a green then you know the difference so it seems the one mistake gets cancelled out as you work through the sequence.

Offline BillH52

« Reply #116 on: March 14, 2017, 01:24:05 PM »
Some of the stop lights in downtown Buriram are near impossible to tell what color they are supposed to be.  All 3 appear the same; end up guessing the color based on placement - top, middle or bottom.

Offline smoooth2

• Member in the hall of honorary
« Reply #117 on: March 16, 2017, 10:04:10 AM »
I renewed my 5 year DLs in November @ Nang Rong and no medical certificate was needed.

Was a residency certificate required or did the accept your yellow book (if you have one)?
Yes a residency certificate was required. I got it from Buriram Immigration 500 baht.
I don't have a yellow book. When I first came to live in Buriram, I tried to get  yellow book and my amphur didn't know they existed. 5 Years later they had yellow house books  but by that time I had decided I didn't need / want one.

Interesting that Buriram Immi did a Res Cert. That was nigh impossible from Kap Cheong Immi last 15 months or so.

Some of the stop lights in downtown Buriram are near impossible to tell what color they are supposed to be.  All 3 appear the same; end up guessing the color based on placement - top, middle or bottom.

Not entirely convinced that the colour really matters to some locals. If there's nothing coming, they run the intersection regardless.

6.15am last Tuesday. I was stopped at Khao Kradong red traffic lights. 3 motorcys stopped alongside me. Bugger me if a lady riding a motorcy with sidecart attached came up behind all of us and just cruised through the intersection at 40 kmph ! She hardly even slowed down. Red light still had 16 secs on the clock   :o

I know .... hardly an isolated experience, and she did save herself 16 seconds wait  thumbup

Moron.

Little wonder the road fatality stats are so horrifying.

Offline dimple joe

• Prolific Member
« Reply #118 on: March 16, 2017, 05:18:59 PM »
Did anyone read this from the Ministry of silly ideas which have not been thought through properly?

"Land Transport Department director-general Sanit Promwong said, under the new regulation, applicants for driving licenses or drivers who want to renew their driving licenses would be required to go through a training session of up to 15 hours from today's 3-4 hours and pass both the written and driving tests organized by the private sector.

The Land Transport Department will only serve in its capacity as the supervisory body and responsible for issuing driving licenses and renewal of licenses.

Mr Sanit, however, pointed out that, under the new regulation, drivers who want to renew their driving licenses and applicants for driving licenses would have to bear the training session costs which will not exceed 6,000 baht each."

I think the cost of a Res or Health cert at your licence renewal is likely to be the least of your worries - SIX THOUSAND BAHT and two and a half days of your time..... :D

Issuance of driving licenses to be tightened to improve road safety - Thai PBS English News

Offline Freddy

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #119 on: March 16, 2017, 05:39:30 PM »
Will be entertaining to see what they come up with in the test. Let's hope they have the English version!

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: Golf Clubs by Mod
March 23, 2024, 12:46:14 AM

Golf Clubs by andy
March 22, 2024, 03:24:32 AM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick
March 10, 2024, 05:30:21 PM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by Mod
March 06, 2024, 02:03:52 PM

Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick