{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: Make your own Bacon  (Read 6864 times)

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Gifte​d Poster
  • Admin
    • www.buriramexpats.com
Make your own Bacon
« on: October 11, 2009, 04:49:48 PM »
A company selling "Make your own Bacon kit".  confused4

http://www.thaivisa.com/promotions/banners/bacon/bacon.php

Offline swimming pizza

• Contributor with future
  • amazing thailand.
Re: Make your own Bacon
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 10:28:04 AM »
no way I'm gonna do all this job for a bacon.!! surrender1  now where is my food?! hungry1

Offline lahansai

• Contributor with future
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 05:13:05 PM »
I'm off from this idea also. but sure if you get really bored in da village thats the first thing you'll come with.
let's make a bakon today !!!!!!!  jumping8

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 08:55:35 PM »
Well I have been making my own Bacon, and really enjoying it.  The prime ingredient is Pink Salt.  I can share if an expat wants. 

What I like is thick sliced pepper bacon, and I am getting it by making it.  Pork Belly is too easy to get here. 

Note to self, "Do Not feed the Troll!!!" 

« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 09:02:20 PM by urleft »

Offline Freddy

• Gifte​d Poster
  • http://buriramexpats.com/
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 09:16:09 PM »
Wait for it......Wait for it.......

Tassie

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 12:47:21 AM »
Yes, yes, yes a great result.  Some time down the track I hope to do the same.  I also hope to make good Polish sausages.
Regards

Offline davureborn

• Member in the hall of honorary
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 08:10:08 AM »
Nah, I found good bacon in BigC, I'm happy with that.
What I really find worthwhile is making pork pies, cornish pasties and cottage pie, a messy job but keeps my midday meals option open, I change the flavouring now and then.

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2017, 08:32:01 AM »
I also hope to make good Polish sausages.

One of the few books I kept and brought with me here is The Sausage Making Cookbook, bought it on Cannary Row over 20 years ago.  You are welcome to look at it if you want. 

But sometime in the next month I plan on making some Kielbasa, you are welcome to help and make yours.  I will provide the casings, spices (the prime being marjoram, available at Tops), and packing machine. 

And today I am making American breakfast sausage.

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2017, 11:51:37 AM »
Actually you don't need pink salt, prague powder or salt peter. Good news as it can be difficult to source.

Much better to create your own cure using locally sourced nitrates. Let me know if you need some and I will point you in the right direction.

I've been doing it very successfully this way for longer than this thread has been going.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 11:54:39 AM by Starman »

Offline Adam

• Active member on the right way
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2017, 10:33:49 PM »
Are nitrates really necessary? I may be wrong, but are they not just a preservative and gives the meat a pink or red colour.

I made some ham a couple of years back, just using salt and spices, it was very tasty if a little gray on the edges. Eating too much nitrates is not good for you I believe.

Please feel free to educate me, as I would like to try this when I retire (a few years to go yet).

Offline Starman

• Gifte​d Poster
    • burirampieman.com
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2017, 10:52:43 PM »
Are nitrates really necessary? I may be wrong, but are they not just a preservative and gives the meat a pink or red colour.

I made some ham a couple of years back, just using salt and spices, it was very tasty if a little gray on the edges. Eating too much nitrates is not good for you I believe.

Please feel free to educate me, as I would like to try this when I retire (a few years to go yet).

Nitrates are what gives the bacon/ham the cured taste and texture.

You are  correct in mentioning colour. Without the correct cure the meat will remain grey. Nitrates also preserve the meat so that it can cure longer and remain longer once cured.

Nitrates bad for your health?????  The salt content in cured meats is far more damaging that the nitrates/nitrites.

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2017, 06:44:42 AM »
Pink curing salt is a mix of salt and sodium nitrite. It keeps the meat pink and protects it from bacteria.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/homemade-bacon-3362606

In the link the recipe calls for 2 Teaspoons of Pink Salt, which seems to the standard amount I see from recipes.  So taking 2 teaspoons out of that .9 KG bag is going to last a while which is why I'm offering to share.  And you can see from the pictures of my bacon how the pink color gets into meat.

One piece of equipment that is almost essential is an oven.  I could use my grill but I cannot control the temperature as efficiently. 

If you do a google search it is easy to find lots of recipes on curing bacon:
 https://www.google.co.th/search?q=making+cured+bacon&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b&gws_rd=cr&ei=YutvWcKjNsOZ8QXIxJ_4Bg

You can further add modifiers such as peppered, spicy, smoked, etc. 

As part of this curing the meat you end up slicing off the rind, which allows another opportunity to experiment on making pork rinds.

Offline Ahab

• Active member on the right way
  • Mostly right, just ask me
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2017, 04:39:54 PM »
Actually you don't need pink salt, prague powder or salt peter. Good news as it can be difficult to source.

Much better to create your own cure using locally sourced nitrates. Let me know if you need some and I will point you in the right direction.

I've been doing it very successfully this way for longer than this thread has been going.
I would appreciate a point in the right direction. I plan on putting a smoker together as I get settled in.

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: Golf Clubs by Mod
March 23, 2024, 12:46:14 AM

Golf Clubs by andy
March 22, 2024, 03:24:32 AM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick
March 10, 2024, 05:30:21 PM

Re: Yamaha XSR for sale by Mod
March 06, 2024, 02:03:52 PM

Yamaha XSR for sale by finnomick